1. When did you start coaching at CrossFit BC?
Just over 2 years ago.
2. Why did you choose CrossFit?
10 years ago, my neighbor opened the first CrossFit box in Winnipeg and was coaching clients out of a grimey, old boxing gym.
At the time I was training in Muay Thai Kickboxing/MMA and he convinced me
that Crossfit would make me a stronger fighter. I was surprised how hard it was at first but he helped me get better quickly.
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
I’m definitely stronger and more mobile at 40 years old that I was at 20. My health improved significantly once I found the best nutrition program to compliment my intense training.
As for physique: I now have a chiseled 6-pack that I regularly use to wash my clothes on. Also, I can no longer wear jeans due to my huge squat legs. True story.
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
Focus on perfect technique first, then work on strength. Don’t be afraid to take a step back in your training. Do 10 min. of mobility for each 1 hour or training and make sure you are not under-eating on training days. (These are all mistakes I made starting out and had to learn the hard way.) Stuck? Be proactive and ask your coaches for help. We are way smarter than we look.
5. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
6. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Chiropractic. Parenting. Jiu jitsu. Drinking coffee. Drums. Reading. Keeping it real. That’s pretty much all I do.
7. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
I love coaching and watching my athletes make huge gainz. That’s the best.
Second best would be that time I wrestled a gator into submission.
8. Have you made any changes to your diet?
Yes. I eat more now.
I was chronically undereating for years and destroying my endocrine system in the process. I messed up and it was a very hard road back. Remember: Carbs are your friend.
9. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
23 years ago, I played bass guitar and sang backup in a semi-popular, hard-core punk band. We had literally dozens of fans. Google it.
Also, I have seen every episode of MTVs The Real World and The Challenge.
10. What/who inspires you the most?
My mom was a lifelong exercise enthusiast, even before it was popular. She worked out and walked everyday. She passed away last year but I draw my inspiration from her.