1. When did you join CrossFit BC?
2. Why did you choose CrossFit?
I biked from Vancouver to San Francisco in summer 2011, and when I got back I wanted to stay at the same level of fitness. I floated around to a few different gyms, but couldn’t find anything challenging, friendly, and encouraging. I took a chance with a Groupon and decided to stay!
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
I’m much stronger and have lost some weight, but more than that feel really capable when I jump back into sports that I don’t always have time for these days. Whenever the chance comes up to go snowboarding, mountain biking, or wakeboarding, I’m ready.
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
Stay consistent. The biggest breakthrough for me was setting a schedule and sticking to it. I crossed off days in my calendar when I made it to class and eventually built up a streak that I didn’t want to break. This even inspired an app to help others maintain habits called Better Every Time (http://getbettereverytime.com).
5. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
Squat cleans are really fun. They’re heavy, and when you get the confidence and consistency to drop quickly and know you’ll be in exactly the right spot, it’s incredibly satisfying.
6. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Biking! I grew up mountain biking every day, and now I get to ride everywhere in the city. I also like taking my dog on adventures, but she’s 86 in people years so we take it real easy.
7. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
I worked hard to get bar muscle ups before the end of last year, and finally got them on the last class.
8. Have you made any changes to your diet?
My appetite is a lot bigger these days and CrossFit enables me eat pretty much anything as long as I’m energized for the next visit. My girlfriend is often dubious.
9. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
I grew up in a hotel.
10. What/who inspires you the most?
Trying to solve a problem. I’ve always loved figuring things out, and my physical fitness was a big puzzle for a long time. The CrossFit BC coaches teach techniques that push my body far beyond what I think is possible, and there’s always more to learn and perfect.