1. When did you join CrossFit BC?
July 2014, I can’t believe it has been 4 years.
2. Why did you choose CrossFit?
For a few years I would walk my dogs by the gym and wondered what Crossfit was all about. One day I decided to go in and ask about it. I was so impressed by how friendly everyone was. I signed up for a trial class and quickly became hooked. I love the variety of CrossFit where no work-out is the same.
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
I feel stronger than I ever have been. My cardio has improved dramatically. I also have more energy and sleep better.
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
I would encourage them to give it a try. It doesn’t matter what age or fitness level you are when you start. The whole experience is fun, positive and encouraging. It is so much more than a gym. There is a true sense of community and everyone is made to feel welcome.
5. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
I have two favourites; running and rope climbing.
6. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Anything to do with dogs.
7. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
When I managed to do one strict pull-up without a band.
8. Have you made any changes to your diet?
I eat way more than I used to. I have been a vegetarian for over 30 years but recently went completely vegan. I cut out eggs, cheese and all processed foods. This change has made a significant improvement in my energy level and strength.
9. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
I was lucky to have lived and volunteered in Mogadishu, Somalia for a year. I ran a project for children who were either orphaned or had been separated from their parents. It was a beautiful city at the time and an incredible learning experience for me.
10. What/who inspires you the most?
I am in awe of how strong the women I work-out with are. Crash (Mary) in particular is an inspiration. She motivates me to push myself at each and every work out.