1) When did you join CrossFit BC?
2) Why did you choose CrossFit?
A buddy had started doing CrossFit and I saw him go from being totally out of shape to being in great shape. I also read a lot online and liked the philosophy. It took me a year (sadly) of thinking about it before I finally got up the courage to start CrossFit.
3) What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
I had gotten painfully out of shape. When I started I was 215lbs and my poor fitness was really getting me down. Now I’m 185lbs, in the best shape of my life and am physically able to do the things that I love to do like play hockey and keep up with my two young children. I wish I had taken a good before photo. It would provide a lot of comic relief.
4) What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
Stop putting off getting in shape. Being in great shape will change your life. You’ll have more energy. Less stress. Don’t be intimidated. CrossFit is a suprisingly welcoming community regardless of your fitness level. Also when you’re first starting out scaling is your friend. Don’t try and do too much too fast.
5) What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
So many to choose from. I’m not sure I have one favourite. I enjoy cleans, snatch and double unders. Definitely not burpees.
6) What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Reading and hanging out with my family.
7) What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
Getting my first muscle up. I was also really excited when I could finally do double unders.
8) Have you made any changes to your diet?
Diet… well it’s fair to say that my diet before CrossFit was not something to be particularly proud of. I made lot of progress in my fitness without changing my diet but more recently I’ve started to clean it up primarily by having a lot less sugar and being smarter about when I eat.
9) Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
That I co-founded a software company that tracks CrossFit workouts.
10) What/who inspires you the most?
A lot of folks at CFBC inspire me. Some people like Mantis because of their incredible athleticism. Other folks like KT because of their mental toughness but also folks like Paulie and DaffyD who came in, like me, out of shape and have just kept at it and have seen huge changes in their fitness. I think it takes more grit to start CrossFit if you aren’t already in good shape. I find it inspiring to see people do that and I really enjoy watching their progress.
“Dimples” is co-owner of Social Wod, the Wod tracking system. To claim your athlete profile, go to the CrossFit BC/Social Wod link.