2. Why did you choose CrossFit?
I had become somewhat sedentary for a couple years. My son, Angus (10 yrs old at the time and about to test for his 2nd degree black belt) had said to me, “Dad, how come you don’t do ANYTHING?!” I knew I had to get active again but had no idea what I would do to get back in shape. My great friend Rob Rees had been doing Crossfit for 6 months (at Crossfit BC’s original Tiddlycove location) and wouldn’t stop bugging me; kept talking about how incredible Crossfit was. James Zinck, my kid’s martial arts coach, and Troy were pretty encouraging at the time, as well. So I signed up for the newbie boot camp taught by Terry Peters. And I was seriously hooked…
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
I’ve gotten in the best shape of my life with Crossfit. Greater strength, fitness, stamina. Just feel terrific.
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
Just get into it. You’ll not regret it. Doesn’t matter what level of fitness you’re going in with. You’ll be a lot more fit in short order. Start out twice a week. And be willing to work your ass off. No better way to completely clear out your mind than being in the midst of a gruelling WOD.
5. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
6. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Eating and drinking copiously with great friends. And of course…
7. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
First time I did a partner WOD with my son, Gabe.
8. Have you made any changes to your diet?
I’m pretty moderate in my approach to food. Generally eating good & healthy food but I’m not fanatical. I definitely enjoy going off the rails once in awhile.
9. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
I briefly held the world record in coin snatching when I was in 7th grade.
10. What/who inspires you the most?
The really old Crossfit codgers who are in such incredible shape (they know who they are). They kick ass every single WOD. Relentless. I wanna be like them when I grow up…