1) When did you join CrossFit BC?
My introduction to Crossfit was about 5 years ago as one of the original eight CFBC members. At that time I was looking to improve my general fitness to pursue additional martial arts training. Crossfit allowed me to push to the max every workout…I was hooked!
2) What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
Without a doubt my strength has improved dramatically; I can lift heavier and longer than I could in my 20’s. It’s amazing to be able to do muscle ups and deadlift over twice my body weight at an age most people expect to be slowing down!
3) What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Are there any activities besides Crossfit that are worth doing? I guess that in a pinch I like making furniture and woodworking in general.
4) What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
For someone new to crossfit, they should enjoy the challenge of doing the best they can, whether it’s a scaled workout or their first rx’d WOD. Take pride in every box jump, kettle bell swing, or thruster and enjoy the knowledge that you are part of an enormous community that will support you every day.
5) What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
My favourite workouts are with the barbell, especially Grace and Isabelle. Cindy would be a close second and if I’m feeling particularly stoked, Murph or Miagi!
6) What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
I’m the proudest of all my fellow athletes that strive every workout to do one more rep or lift 5lbs more. Personally, placing 1st in Canada and 2nd in the world for the 2011 and 2012 Reebok Crossfit Games Open were high points for me. Winning the Snatch ladder event with a PB in the 2012 Games was an awesome moment.
7) Have you made any changes to your diet?
I generally eat the same as I always have, 90% healthy….10% comfort food!
8) Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
There is probably not much my friends would be surprised to know about me, pretty much an open book!
9) What/who inspires you the most?
I continue to be inspired by my mom, who at the age of 90 still golfs 18 holes every week, rows daily, and can bench press more than her younger friends.