1. Why did you choose CrossFit?
Physical fitness is important to my family, and my Mom especially encouraged me to be active. I started off in swimming, and although I still swim for enjoyment I never really dived into it as a sport. I was looking for a challenging physical program to help me lead an active, balanced lifestyle. CrossFit offered me the flexibility, adaptability, and diversity I sought. By incorporating it into my life, CrossFit has made me a strong and healthy individual. I have found my niche, and have fun doing it.
2. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
Since starting CrossFit, I have certainly become much more fit, both physically and mentally. I have noticed great development in my strength, flexibility and endurance, and I can see a visible improvement during workouts. To quote Henry Ford, “There is no happiness except in the realization that we have accomplished something.” However, despite my improvements, CrossFit does not seem to get any easier…
3. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
It is important to set both short- and long-term goals for oneself. Thereafter, breaking each goal down into small steps makes everything less daunting and marks milestones along the way. By doing this, I have found a second gear to work even harder and stay motivated along the way.
4. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
5. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
I really enjoy playing the piano and composing my own pieces.
6. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
My first double under. It is an example of how setting a goal, working hard, and persevering lead me to success. Warning: Rope lashes are painful, but encourage one not to trip.
7. Have you made any changes to your diet?
I am now more conscious of what I eat and put into my body. I recognise how nutrition in tandem with sleep and physical activity interact in being healthy.
8. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
I lived as an expatriate with my family in Mexico, Chile, and Australia, for a combined eight years.
9. What/who inspires you the most?
Other CrossFit athletes. It is inspiring to see what others accomplish, in turn motivating me to also do my best.