1. When did you join CrossFit BC?
I joined CrossFit in October 2016 initially on a 6 week New You challenge program.
2. Why did you choose CrossFit?
My son challenged me to get healthy. After doing the 6 week challenge, I was immediately hooked. I continue to choose CrossFit because it challenges me and shows my son that you never give up even if it’s hard.
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
Before CrossFit I was overweight, weighing in at over 270 pounds. I wore size 44 pants and XXL t-shirts. I would be too tired to do any activity after a full day of work. Since incorporating CrossFit into my lifestyle, I have lost over 50 pounds, gone down to a 38 waist and large size T-shirts. Overall, I have all the energy now to play with my kids after a full day of work and work out.
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
Continue to show, up try everything and just like most things your hard work will pay off.
5. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
I’m going to say my favourite crossFit exercise would have to be thrusters. Mainly because it’s a full body workout.
6. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Hanging out with my family which usually involves all things sports.
7. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
My proudest accomplishments are small things like being able to do a proper pull up, completing a WOD with an RX and continuing to show up.
8. Have you made any changes to your diet?
I was eating fast food 2 – 3 times a day, drinking a case of soda a week and just eating really unhealthy food. I gradually made changes to my diet instead eliminating things completely. I still have coffee every day but instead of a double double I go for two milk. If I want rice, I go for a scoop of rice as opposed to a bowl of rice and I allow myself a cheat day. The paleo diet has been working for me.
9. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
My five-year-old and I have tea parties with two of her stuff animals every Sunday.
10. What/who inspires you the most?
My seven-year-old son is my inspiration. He does two hours of jiu jitsu, one hour of baseball, an hour and a half of football and will still come home and want to play catch. I figured since he can do it, why can’t I?