1. When did you join CrossFit BC?
2. Why did you choose CrossFit?
A bunch of coworkers were trying it. It looked hard, it sounded crazy… and I wanted nothing to do with it. I reluctantly showed up for the evaluation, barely survived the fundamentals, and got hooked when I hit the group WODs.
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
I saw tremendous gains in strength and overall performance, and the shift in body composition was a bonus side effect! I’m in great health and feel a lot younger for someone having kids in the “advanced maternal age” category.
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
See for yourself what it’s all about and just show up. Show up for that first class. Get a taste of what a WOD is like and how it can be scaled for you. Work with our amazing coaches and feel what being part of our supportive community is like. Show up for at least a month, and you’ll find yourself having trouble NOT showing up! (And when you reach that point, make sure to take rest days)
5. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
Handstand pushups! Also power cleans, push jerks, and double unders.
6. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Sleep, when I can get some! I have my hands full with favourite activities with my toddler and newborn, so as much as I love playing volleyball or hiking the Grouse Grind, CrossFit is currently the only other activity I make time for.
7. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
Continuous progress means many accomplishments to be proud of: from big PRs, to exercising through pregnancy, to those small wins with training/recovery after childbirth… I’m also just proud of being a long-time CrossFitter and part of the CFBC family since nearly the beginning.
8. Have you made any changes to your diet?
Yes, not quite Paleo/Zone (ok, not even close), but definitely an improvement. In a nutshell I make better choices, put more thought and effort in my meals, and eat a lot more than I used to.
9. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
I have 4 university degrees. I also took 3 CrossFit certificate courses during my CF honeymoon phase.
10. What/who inspires you the most?
Witnessing everyone’s progress! Watching that first pull-up, big lift, or WOD-crushing inspires me. I LOVE seeing the Accomplishment Board fill up every month!
And that CFBC crew of ours… the tremendous support and encouragement from Troy, Lance and Sophie over the years has made it easy for me to “show up”. Not only do they go that extra mile for us, they go the extra “Murph” 🙂