1. When did you join CrossFit BC?
Around October of 2016 I think
2. Why did you choose CrossFit?
I had been doing CrossFit before at a different box (Optimum Performance) which was close to my old games studio. I wanted to get in shape and took it quite seriously for three or four years. Unfortunately the box closed in 2015, and I also happened to break my ankle on holiday trying to learn to surf right around that same time. So I knew I wanted to get back into CrossFit and finding CrossFit BC West Van (which is close to my house) was great.
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
Even as I get older, CrossFit always makes me feel mentally fitter and in good spirits even if the body sometimes gets a bit sore and creaky. Because of the broken ankle, it’s taking a while to get back into shape, but I feel I am making progress now.
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
Come to your first class – the camaraderie and the varied programming is great. My main piece of advice is to really try and nail the techniques before trying to go too heavy or too fast.
5. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
6. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Hiking, biking, heavy metal, beer – not necessarily in that order.
7. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
Getting to a 6am class on time.
8. Have you made any changes to your diet?
9. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
I flew on Iron Maiden’s 747 from LA to Tokyo.
10. What/who inspires you the most?
My son’s tenacity and skill at baseball.