1. When did you join CrossFit BC?
2. Why did you choose CrossFit?
Back in New Zealand a work colleague had started up a small CrossFit box with his sons (both All Blacks), and asked if I wanted to try it out. I was big into soccer and trail and off-trail running at the time and when I tried it out I immediately saw the benefits of it for both sports/hobbies.
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
Clothes fitted better for a while and but now they don’t fit that well again thanks to the slim fit trend. My mobility has increased as well, which has reduced some long term injuries/mechanical issues.
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
Just do it. Listen to the coaches and ask them a ton of questions to get all the advice you can from them. Never stop working on technique as the small tweaks can make a huge difference.
5. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
Aside from ping pong, it’s tough to narrow it down. I always enjoy running, and skipping in a WOD and then the fun big exercises like muscle-ups, and heavy thrusters, OHS, and snatch.
6. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Surfing, trail running. Lately, I’ve loved exploring BC/Canada in my Westfalia.
7. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
Doing the CFBC challenge last year, and recently the confederation cup were amazing. Both times I had awesome team-mates. My first RX “Diane” was also a huge day. I think KT no-repped me for about 3 minutes on my last HSPU. When I started I couldn’t kick into a handstand or balance in a handstand against the wall, so RX “Diane” was huge.
8. Have you made any changes to your diet?
I try to eat cleaner and less white carb based. I don’t have pasta, bread or much processed food in the house (except cereal for lazy dinners). If I eat out then anything and everything is fair game. When playing soccer or running, I never really saw the effects of diet on performance. In CrossFit you might be able to bluff performances on a bad diet for a few days, but after a week of bad food, the difference in performance is like night and day.
9. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
10. What/who inspires you the most?
People battling through WODs and refusing to give up when they are dying is always a good watch. Everyone at the 7am class has inspired me countless times! They are all amazing and badass! Mantis inspires just because he makes everything look effortless.