2. Why did you choose CrossFit?
We (Bruiser and I) were interested in trying something more diverse and with more strength training involved. Running had become difficult for my knees to deal with and I wanted a more holistic workout anyway. And James was such a salesman with all his talk about doing this until you puke.
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
More muscle mass – less fat, increased strength and better ability to perform some basic functional movements – like standing up from a chair! This may seem mundane but at my age it becomes more meaningful.
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
Leave your ego at the door, don’t hesitate to mod the workout to prevent injury, make sure you have fun, and be friends to every new person who starts.
5. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
Lifting heavy s/?t. Also known as deadlift
6. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
There is something? My grandson and anything to do with him with Bruiser.
7. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
My improvement year over year in the Open. I’m not Doc but I ain’t bad for an old guy.
8. Have you made any changes to your diet?
I eat fairly lo-carb and minimize highly processed food.
9. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
I am actually 79, just pretending to be 20 years younger.
10. What/who inspires you the most?
Bruiser – she has way more perseverance than I do in almost everything – especially Crossfit. Oh yeah and Doc get’s honorable mention – even if he is actually 20 years younger than me.