1. When did you join CrossFit BC?
2. Why did you choose CrossFit?
My partner-in-crime (Diddy) had started at CrossFit BC about 3 years prior and introduced me to a great crew of people from the gym. I was finally convinced to ‘try one class’ and when I didn’t die, I never looked back.
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
About a year before CrossFit, I had started doing yoga. Before that I was an overweight couch potato who loved to bake (mmmm, chocolate). I have dropped almost 50 pounds, can lift heavier than I ever thought possible and my mental outlook on health and life in general has been permanently changed for the better!
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
Try it! You won’t die (trust me, I know). If I can do it, literally anyone can do it. I was 38 when I started and am in better shape now than when I was a teenager.
5. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
The specifics change frequently, but the most consistent answer is that I love lifting. I still suck at anything gymnastic related, but I am trying to at least sort of like the stuff I’m not very good at.
6. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Travelling the world as often as possible! When at home, I like to spend time with the important people in my life which is pretty fantastic.
7. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
Showing up on a regular basis and not quitting when a WOD gets tough. The ‘fat kid’ that’s still stuck in a tiny corner of my brain tries all the time to convince me that I can’t do this. But I know I can, so I’m proud that I’ve learned how to shut her up.
8. Have you made any changes to your diet?
Almost every single aspect of my diet has changed. I did strict paleo for over a year, but have become a little more flexible. I still avoid wheat and dairy most of the time, but I will never give up chocolate 😉 ‘Progress, not perfection’ is a good motto.
9. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
While not ‘officially’ married, Sean (Diddy) and I have been together for 24 years.
10. What/who inspires you the most?
Every athlete at CrossFit BC inspires me in some way, but it’s the all the badass women that regularly do things they never thought possible that puts the biggest smile on my face and pushes me to keep going harder. A special shout out has to go to the 7 am crew – your support has done more than you all know!